04 August 2009

NINOY & CORY


Millions of people out on the street. A shower of yellow confetti. The "Laban" sign. The visuals are too parallel, it doesn't seem like they happened nearly three decades apart. The images from Ninoy's and Cory's deaths are too identical, too compelling, nakakapanindig-balahibo.

An observer said it perfectly, “both Ninoy and Cory united the people against tyranny, oppression and corruption.” Another added, “That is their story that should be retold to all generations over and over again.”

What a couple, huh? Bow ako. This is the kind of partnership, the kind of marriage that would make even the most cynical believe in "soul mates."

I was too young to share the Filipino people's anger over the death of Ninoy. I was only 7 years old in 1983. But I do remember being moved and shedding tears over the images of the 1986 EDSA People Power. I'm no fan. I know they were not perfect leaders (who is?). But Ninoy and Cory have my utmost respect and admiration. I'm in awe of their love for each other, for each other's cause, love for the country and the Filipino.

Theirs is a marriage that took to heart the "Hindi ka nag-iisa" (You are not alone) slogan.

Maraming salamat, Ninoy and Cory. The Filipino people will forever be grateful.

No comments: