As of today, we've seen 4 of the 9 nominees:
- Midnight In Paris: We saw this last year, see my entry here. Fantastic screenplay! We really love Woody Allen's wit. The guy's a genius (meron pa bang hindi nakakaalam nun?).
- The Tree of Life: We've been trying to finish this one too many times. Pero ang hirap talaga niya panoorin. Dahil kaya it's...pretentious?
- The Descendants
- The Artist
- The Help
- War Horse
- Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
We loved the family drama. Such an engaging story. Great performances, especially from George.
|A family drama that hits home|
The film's first lines got me hooked...
Matt King: My friends on the Mainland think just because I live in Hawaii, I'm in paradise. Like a permanent vacation. We're all just out here sipping Mai-Tais, shaking our hips, catching waves. Are they insane? Do they think we're immune to life? How can they possibly think our families are less screwed up, our cancers less fatal, our heartaches less painful? Hell, I haven't been on a surfboard in 15 years. For the last 23 days I've been living in a paradise of IVs, urine bags, and trachea tubes. Paradise? Paradise can go fuck itself.
Very inspiring. Especially since it's based on a true story. Billy Beane (Brad Pitt) is the General Manager of a loser baseball team, out to change the game for good. No one believed in his numbers strategy until their team started winning games. Enjoyed it. A lot. And I'm not even a baseball fan.
|It's not about the money,|
How can you be a game-changer? Let us count the ways:
- Movie tagline: What are you really worth? [Reminded me of the quote, "Some people are so poor, all they have is their money.]
- Beane: "...But if we win, on our budget, with this team...we'll have changed the game. And that's what I want. I want it to mean something."
- Beane (after declining the Red Sox's USD12.5M offer): "I made one decision in life based on money. And I swore I'd never do it again."
Definitely worth watching.
Both George and Brad deserve the Best Actor trophy. Hindi sila ang mapapanood mo. Kundi sina Matt King and Billy Beane. Husay!