For our very first New Year's Eve here in Singapore, Hubby and I welcomed 2012 at the Marina Bay. We arrived 9pm. With three hours until the fireworks display, we went around muna to see how people partied this side of the earth.
- Here, trains extend operating hours for New Year's Eve, from midnight to until 2am. Where we come from, train services are cut short Christmas and New Year's Eve.
- New Year revelers camp out around the Marina Bay, bringing picnic mats, food, drinks and card games. Yep, they're prepared for the wait.
- Most packed areas: Esplanade stretch and the pedestrian lane from the Youth Olympic Park to The Shoppes.
- The Helix Bridge is closed before the fireworks display so we had to take the pedestrian lane to The Shoppes.
- There were at least four shows / concerts, happening simultaneously, all around the Bay.
- There were food and drink stalls (Starbucks, Deli, Salad Bar, etc) near the Marina Bay Financial Center. Grabe ang pila! We got to buy from these stalls only after the fireworks display.
- Portalets everywhere. Didn't use them. Sa Esplanade and The Shoppes pa rin kami nag-restroom.
- Having dinner in Punggol was a smart idea as all the restaurants in the Marina Bay area were packed! As in long lines everywhere!
- Some restaurants refused walk-ins. May signs: "With Reservations Only"
- Traditional ice cream carts had a field day. We had chocolate ice cream sandwiches. Yey!
- By 11pm, they closed the Marina Bay pedestrian entrances. The latecomers watched the fireworks from the other side of the street na.
- Outfit: come as you are. There were people in very casual clothes (shorts and shirts), pero meron ding mga naka-cocktail dresses and long gowns.
- The fireworks display was impressive! Better than our Hong Kong experience in 2010. Watch video here.
- Spotted a lot of women carrying their stilettos after the fireworks. Naka-paa na talaga sila! Hehe.
- PDA - check! Nagugulat pa rin kami minsan. But we'll get used to it.
- We tried to book a hotel in the area, two weeks before NYE. Too late.
|We joined the crowd at the Marina Bay.|
|9pm. We're looking forward to a Happy New Year!|
(Mahangin kaya ang gulo ng hair ko, hehe.)
|9:30pm. From the Fullerton Bay Hotel park|
The Wishing Spheres floating all over the Bay.
View from the Esplanade
We watched from this spot, near the Financial Center.
Dito kasi mas maluwag.
Yes, sa lagay na ito, maluwag na yan.
|The late comers were prevented |
from entering the Marina Bay complex by 11pm.
After the fireworks, we didn't even try to catch the train. We knew it'd be chaotic in the stations. We walked from Marina Bay to St. Andrew's Cathedral's bus stop, hoping to catch a taxi or the 6N bus to Punggol. As predicted, there were no taxis available (Asa pa!). The unoccupied ones refused to take passengers (Familiar?!). After what seemed like forever, the bus finally arrived at 4am. We got home at 5.
First lesson / reminder of the New Year: We'll get to our destination. We just need to patiently wait. *wink*
HAPPY NEW YEAR!