15 September 2011

MY FIRST E-BOOK


I just finished my very first ebook (an Amazon gift from my dear friend L - Thank you!). It's Samantha Sotto's "Before Ever After."

Loved some parts, hated (too harsh) didn't like the other parts so much.

Was intrigued by the premise: Shelley is a young widow, mourning the death of her husband, Max. One day she meets his supposed grandson, and learns that Max could still be alive, is actually 200 years old and immortal!

Going back to the many lives Max has lived started out very interesting and yes, fresh. Until it became a drag -- 200 years old na nga kasi!

Told Hubby about the story and his reaction -- "Highlander?" Have you seen the film and the TV series? I didn't watch either. But reading through the plot lines via Wikipedia, I see the similarities. Hmmm.

I'd still recommend that you read "Before Ever After." Pinoys, let's support our kababayan. Besides, I'm a believer of shaping your own opinion about things. Huwag nakasalalay sa opinyon ng iba. *wink*


Sharing with you some lines I liked:

  • We change at least one person's life just by being born. If you don't believe me, go ask your mother.
  • If we accept time for what it is, how it flows and how we flow with it, I doubt very much that we would continue wasting loads of it by constantly checking our watches.
  • Where we are now is where a lifetime's worth of steps have taken us.
  • You can make a child believe a lot of things. Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny...just about anything really, except love. You cannot make a child believe you love him if you don't.
  • Children know when they're loved. It's when you grow up that you're more easily fooled.
  • As the body rots, so does the cage that traps us in our worldly concerns. When my legs became too weak to carry my body, I stopped pacing with worry. When my fingers became twisted, I stopped pointing blame. When I lost my sight, I stopped seeing illusions. It may be dark in the pot that I am simmering in, but I can see more clearly than I have ever seen in my life.
  • My dear, you might be surprised at how much happiness you can find in the pages of the shortest of love stories. Unlike penises, their length truly does not count. (LOL)

As for reading printed material versus e-books, I'm surprised to enjoy both equally. I used to have apprehensions about Kindle (was afraid it'd be uncomfortable for my eyes). OK naman pala. The thing I love most: I can carry 20 plus books in one iPad, how convenient! Plus there's an instant dictionary app for words I do not understand. I don't think I'll give up on the printed versions though. I'm open to trying everything new, but I'm still old-school in a lot of ways. That's just me.

No comments: